Thursday, December 13, 2007

My Current Playlist


1)Alicia Keys “Wreckless Love.” I’m not really an Alicia Keys fan. I liked a couple songs on “The Diary of Alicia Keys” but I’vie never felt compelled to purchase any of her music. All of that has changed now. I’m madly in love with the aforementioned song. I can't stop listening to it! As far as the entire CD is concerned, I think she did a great job this time around. Her music has matured and she’s finally “sangin’.”

2) Kanye West “Can’t Tell Me Nothing.” Another artist I’m not really a fan of. I find Kanye West to be a little on the arrogant side. Yeah, he has a different kind of style and he's reppin' my hood (southside Chicago) but he's not a lyricist. Besides, something about him has always annoyed me. When “Graduation” dropped I decided to give it a listen just see what all the hype was about. Why did I do that? Now I’m diggin’ the CD and I'm definitely feelin' this song. It just strikes a chord in me. If I was as crazy as I sometimes feel, I'd stand on my desk at work and sing the chorus at the top of my lungs: "La, la, la wait til I get my money right/la, la, la then you caint tell me nuthin' riiiight!" Yes world, I’m coming out- I like Kanye West! Oh the shame...

3) Tessanne "Hideaway." Someone told me this song was originally sang by the Dixie Chicks. I've never listened to them before so I wouldn't know. But my girl Tessanne is singing this tune! I like the way the song blends reggae, rock, and a little dancehall together. I admit it, when I'm in the car by myself I sing this song like I'm live on stage.

4) Queen Ifrica “Below Waist.” Ahh, the refreshing lyrics and conscious tunes of a true Rasta woman. It came right on time! I’ve been very disappointed with the state of dancehall lately. It’s as bad as some of the hip hop with the cursing and vulgarity. That’s why I’m loving Queen Ifrica. This tune portrays a real side of relationships/marriage. It's a little humorous too.

5) Wyclef Jean feat. Sizzla “Welcome to the East”. Wyclef used to irritate me like no tomorrow. Something about his voice or style grated on my nerves. I don’t know what happened but I’m feeling his new CD. A close runner up to “Welcome to the East” is a song he has with T.I. called “Slow Down.” Sak Pase!

6) Jill Scott “Epiphany.” I’m a Jill Scott fan all day. Her new CD is rather…um…sensual (to say the least.) I can’t say much more about this song. I probably shouldn’t be listening to it. I'm getting the point though.

7) Mario “Skippin.’” My best friend has been raving about Mario’s new music. I thought she was trippin’ until I listen to the CD and was blown away. Mario has grown up and you can hear it in the music. Tight vocals, production and lyrics. This will be my one CD purchase for the next few months. “Skippin’” is my favorite track.

8) J. Holiday “Bed.” Yeah, I know! I feel like a teenager for listening to this song. I can no longer fake it though. I like it. *singing* “Watch the sunlight peek over the horizooooon…”

9) Alaine “Sincerely.” I’m anxiously awaiting the release of her CD. Alaine is a Jamerican like me. She has a light, feathery voice that glides over any reggae beat. Yeah, she whines a little sometimes but she’s allowed. Gwaan Miss Alaine!

10)Hope “Who Am I to Say?” This song is from the "Why Did I get Married?" soundtrack. Naturally, I first heard it during one of the scenes in the movie. I looked the artist up on myspace and found out she's not even signed to a label yet. I've written plenty of poems to this song. Thanks for the inspiration Hope!

11) Wayne Wonder feat Trina “For My Love.” I wish I could edit Trina out of this song. Her voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard. I like Wayne Wonder’s voice on the track and I like the rhythm. I recently found out Wayne Wonder lived down the street from my old place in South Florida. I never saw him though...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salaam Alaikum...

I love, love, love Alicia's new album!

Anonymous said...

wreckless love is amazing- thanks 4 the tip. Im more of a Mary j Fan- her new tune "fine" is so uplifting.

xx